Wednesday, October 19th, 2016
Blue Water = Bad, Very Bad Water
For those who love the idea of fancy blue (or green) water in the toilet bowl, consider this: over time, the cleaning chemicals in drop-in tank tablets can cause your toilet gaskets to slowly rot. While that colored water looks pretty in the toilet bowl, it can do a number on your budget if it’s slowly leaking into your floor.
Are Drop-In Tablets Really That Bad?
Yes, they are. With long-term use, the bleach and other chemicals in the tablets will damage the flush valve, flapper, plastic and rubber parts (e.g., gaskets and washers). A few notes:
• Toilets that are seldom flushed (such as in a guest room or basement) are the worst candidates for drop-in tablets. Without flushing, the tank water becomes chemical-laden, which eats away the rubber and plastic in your toilet parts.
• Review the manufacturer’s warning label on a new toilet tank. The label typically indicates that “damage caused by in-tank tablets will not be covered under product warranties. These products can seriously corrode the fittings in the tank. This damage can cause leakage and property damage.”
• When the tablets become partially dissolved, they can float into the flushing mechanism and restrict water flow, which can lead to flushing problems.
What’s the Best Way to Clean a Toilet?
The old-fashioned way – put on the big yellow plastic gloves, cover yourself in plastic and grab a scrub brush. Haha, just kidding (except about the gloves). Plumbers are generally pro-chemicals (THANKS, DuPont!) when heavy cleaning is required. Below is a list of the five best toilet cleaners, according to About.com. Our personal favorite is #5.
1 Best Disposable Toilet Cleaner: Clorox Toilet Wand
• Easy to use
• Reaches under the rim
• Disposable pads are pre-loaded with cleaner
• NOTE: Do not flush the pads or detachable heads.
2 Best Liquid Toilet Cleaner: Lysol Power Toilet Bowl Cleaner
• Gel formula provides good coverage
• Gel “stickiness” doesn’t run off when applied under the rim
• Heavy duty cleaning power
3 Best Natural Toilet Cleaner: Seventh Generation Natural Toilet Cleaner
• Environmentally friendly
4 Best Maintenance Toilet Cleaner: Scrubbing Bubbles Toilet Cleaning Gel
• Easy to use gel “stamps”
• Stamps dissolve over a period of about 5-7 days, depending on the number of flushes
• Prevents toilet residue buildup
5 Best Last Chance Toilet Cleaner: Lime-A-Way Toilet Bowl Cleaner
• Most powerful – do not let this cleaner remain on your toilet (or tub/shower) porcelain for more than 2 minutes (it will erode the glaze)
• Use in a well-ventilated area; avoid breathing in the fumes
• Awesome for getting the J-O-B done
Water You Waiting For? If you are having toilet troubles – leaks, slow flushes or clogs, Allied Reddi-Rooter is available to assist 24/7. Ray’s team will have your water flowing in a jiffy. Call or Contact for a free quote: (513) 396-5300. We always come highly recommended and have earned an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau for our expert quality of service.